Port of Rauma – Keen on Growing and Developing
30.10.2018 klo 0:00
– For years we have believed in ourselves and developed our business in order to stay afloat. All the investments have been made bearing in mind how our service package would help our customers the best, says Hannu Asumalahti, Managing Director and CEO of Port of Rauma LTD.
Port of Rauma is an inseparable part of the economic environment of the city of Rauma. According to Asumalahti, their business philosophy is simple:
– We are a partner to the business sector across Finland and globally. Our biggest advantage is our comprehensive service package including not only the port services but also the extensive shipping line network.
For example, Port of Rauma is the only port in Finland providing regular shipping services directly to the USA.
As a part of the transport chain to their customers, Port of Rauma has committed major resources for expanding their business capabilities. The overall goal is to provide more space to develop port activities and enable growth.
– For example, in December 2017, we put into use a twelve-metre draft channel, Asumalahti says, and the last parts of the new container terminal were commenced in February 2018. To further improve our competitiveness and capacity, we will extend the yard area in the coming years.
SUSTAINABILITY OF OPERATIONS
One important global aspect of today’s business scene is sustainability. How has Port of Rauma taken this into account?
– We are committed to find ways to improve our operations in a sustainable manner. Energy efficiency and environmental aspects are taken into account in our daily work, says Tanja Angelova, Administrative Director, thus complementing the ”big picture” given by Asumalahti.
According to Angelova, energy consumption and environmental impacts are minimised wherever possible. However, whenever you construct, the scenery changes and changes in the habitat are inevitable. Luckily, they are not permanent nor wide-spread.
– I would put my money on sea transport over truck transport at any time, Angelova, a former sea captain says. It might have more phases and take a bit longer but it’s far more economical and environmentally friendly.
ndustry: Port services (including construction and maintenance of the port infrastructure, renting of land and water areas, management of port traffic, authority duties as well as port safety and security arrangements.)
Customers: industries, forwarding companies and shipping lines globally
Total traffic in 2017: 6.0 million tons
Turnover: 11,3 M€
Staff: ca. 30
Port of Rauma
Address: Hakunintie 19, FI-26100 Rauma, FINLAND
Telephone: +358 (0)2 83711
Fax: +358 (2) 822 6369
Sustainability | 30.10.2018 klo 0:00